How To Make A Natural Vapor Rub
The cold has struck my house and stuffy noses and chests are not fun to deal with.
It makes sleeping difficult and quite frankly, miserable. For everyone.
I wanted to make something with the doTERRA oils I already had, that I know are highly effective and would work to knock out the congestion.
I also wanted to create something that was good for the skin, moisturizing, nourishing and non-toxic, so I knew it was good for my family. My husband is a total fan of this vapor rub and relies on it every time he gets congested.
NOTE: If you are using this on little ones, be sure to dilute the recipe down by half. You can make it full strength (incase mom or dad catch it after all that tender loving care) and mix extra coconut oil with it before application to dilute it or add only half the amount of oils to the recipe.
Natural Vapor Rub Recipe
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup shea butter
30 drops Eucalyptus oil
20 drops Peppermint oil
5 drops Cinnamon oil
5 drops Clove oil
5 drops Breath oil blend by doTERRA (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil and shea butter in a double boiler until just melted.
- Add the essential oils. (Half the amount if using for little ones, optional)
- Pour into a sealable container and even a chapstick container, if desired, for easy application later.
- Cool on the counter overnight or in the fridge.
- Use as needed to soothe cough and congestion.
I would love to hear what natural things you use or make to help soothe coughs and congestion!